

MEETING OF THE NHERI USER FORUM COMMITTEE
Oct 11, 2022, 3pm Central

MINUTES (by Wei Song)

In Attendance: Mohammad, Stephanie Paal, Stephanie Pilkington, Wei, Antonio, Liesel, David, Maggie, Yazen

1. Approval of meeting minutes from the September 16, 2022 meeting

Mohammad made a motion to approve the minutes: Wei seconds; no objections.

2. UF Election for four positions: We accept nominations for expertise in

- Coastal Engineering
- Wildfire behavior and risks
- Social Science
- Research-to-practice experience

Mohammad: I have sent a message to Marti and am waiting for her response. After that, I am going to work with her on the language, and then I'll send it to NCO. Once finalized, we will send it through email to the NHERI community. If you have anyone in those disciplines, please, ask them if they are interested in joining UF. You can also nominate them or suggest them to nominate themselves as well.

3. Discussion on new ideas to implement

- a. (Idea #1) hosting office hours with site representatives.
- b. (Idea #2) host Happy Hours with previous users and talk about their experiences in an informal but interactive way.

Mohammad: We have received requests on office hours for SimCenter regarding their regional hazard analysis tools. The requests were related to asking UF to host office hours so that SimCenter can demonstrate these tools. I think we can start from there to host these office hours focusing on one tool at a time.

Antonio: That is fine. And there are two steps to proceed: i) contact the EF site representative reportative and ask for their involvement because you will need their cooperation—this can be something brought up when the council meets; then, ii) once they assign resources (personnel and time) for the events, either the site or UF or both can

advertise the events.

Mohammad: Because Stephanie Pilkington will be busy with communication committee, Wei and I will be working on the new member election, Steph (Paal), are you willing to take the lead to start one of the ideas? Maybe follow Antonio's suggestion and get started.

Antonio: Mohammad, are you thinking of doing this office hour for every EF or just the SimCenter.

Mohammad: We plan to do this office hours for all the EF sites, but we can start with SimCenter.

Antonio: To clarify, the person will be actually presenting in the office hour should be someone from EF sites. The UF representative to be involved, my understanding is, bring the needs from the NHERI community to the EF sites based on the feedback we received, and then suggest the sites to hold office hours to meet the needs of the community.

Stephanie: OK. I can bring this idea to NCO to make the request and also to ECO because there are site representatives present to make the connection.

Antonio: UF's position is to bring users' feedback to the EF sites and let them to be aware of these feedbacks. And EF will be the one deciding to host the office hour or not or how the means to hold it, and UF's role is just bring the request to the EFs for them to be aware.

Stephanie: Sounds good. I can do that.

Mohammad: Great. We have someone working on Idea #1. I will send Stephanie the details of the next NCO meeting. It is a good opportunity for NCO to know more UF members.

Antonio: On my calendar, the next NCO meeting is going to be Oct. 21 (next Friday), 3pm (Eastern).

Stephanie: OK. I should be able to do it.

Mohammad: For Idea #2, we are missing a few members here today. I am going to skip that one this time and hopefully, we can find a volunteer to organize that one in our next meeting. But the whole goal is to involve the past UF members more in the activities, because my past experience on the UF was that most of the activities were among the officers (chair, vice-chair, and the secretary). Idea #2 is a way to get more UF members involved in the committee activities. Hopefully, next meeting we will find someone to for Idea #2, and then we can initiate that.

4. Travel Reimbursement for SI Trip

Mohammad: Have anyone received the reimbursement yet? I know Yazen has received it, but I have not.

Wei: I have received it.

Stephanie: I got mine last week but I suggest you follow up because that is what I did.

5. Report from User Satisfaction Survey committee

Maggie: We did close the survey on September 13, after some of those additional solicitation for responses that we talked about at the last meeting. And, Stephanie, thank you for putting that up on social media again. And then, of course, Marti helped to get that out on Slack and out through email for the third time. Now, we have 57 total responses (one person click the survey but later indicated do not want to complete the survey). I am working on getting the report together in a similar style as past years. The process is I will circulate a draft to the subcommittee and make edits, and then we circulate it around the broader UF for feedback. I would like to know if you are interested in repeating this process.

Antonio: That sounds good.

Maggie: Great. I am going to present the results after the report is finalized. Because the closing date was July and then extended to September, it will take some more time to capture the changes made during that extended time. Then, we need to discuss how we want to move forward for next year. Marti made some great suggestions, but that conversation will probably happen in the November or December meeting, depending on how quickly we finalize the report.

Maggie: In addition, for Idea #2 above, I know my position is a bit different because I am not a formal UF member. But I would really love to attend the event and be a part of that. My interest in keeping tabs on user satisfaction. I think that there could be some cool stuff that come up during those happy hours that I would want to consider next year.

Mohammad: I would love to make you volunteer for that. I think it is a great idea because we can benefit from the discussions and the previous experiences on the user satisfaction survey from the past UF member. Question for you, Antonio, do you think NCO would be interested in looking at the presentation of the report or reading the report?

Antonio: UF can share the presentation of the survey results with NCO after it is finalized as an independent product.

Mohammad: Yes, we will just share the survey results with the NCO members to give them

a quick summary about what to expect from the survey.

Antonio: Yes, it could be you or Maggie to present in the NCO and inform everyone that these are some of the highlights of the survey.

Maggie: I am happy to do that once the report is finalized.

Antonio: When do you think the report can be finalized and shared?

Maggie: I will be able to circulate a copy two weeks from now. Once I have the response from the subcommittee, then I will give an extra 10-14 days to receive the responses, so around mid-November. After the report is finalized, then I can share the highlights with NCO in December.

6. Report from NCO representatives

Mohammad: Most of the report is about the NHERI summit. The summit has more than 250 participants attending the event, including participants from FEMA, NIST, and White House. For those who have not participated, one of the interesting items being discussed was wildfire. Another item discussed by NCO was the Science Plan. They are working on the 3rd Edition and hopefully it can be finalized soon.

Antonio: Ian aims to get the Science Plan finalized early next year.

7. Report from ECO representatives

Stephanie: I did not attend the ECO meeting personally.

Mohammad: In the NCO meeting, Robin from ECO has shared results from their REU program. We can skip the details this time and wait until next meeting to catch up on ECO activities.

8. Report from Facilities Scheduling representatives

Mohammad: We will skip this today. (Claudia is not available to attend this UF meeting.)

9. Report from Technology Transfer representatives

Shane: During the NHERI Summit, Bill Holmes co-led a session on Friday for tech transfer. He gave the background on the committee and made the pitch for the committee being available to help researchers get their findings into code standards and practices. There were some good questions asked in the session regarding the plans for early-career researchers to engage tech transfer aspect in their research and their career plan.

Mohammad: In addition, one comment coming out of NHERI Summit is, there is a disconnection between the practice and the natural hazard community. For example,

SimCenter has developed many tools for research purposes, and the question is how practitioners can make use of them for region-scale analysis. Has similar question been brought up in the Tech Tran. Committee discussions?

Shane: Not so much. The current discussion is mostly about how to connect research to codes and standards. But I can bring this question to them.

Mohammad: That would be great.

Antonio: Shane, because you are rotating off UF, it would be great you can also ask Tech Tran. Committee and see if they have any nominations.

Shane: Sure. One of the issues with the Tech. Tran. Committee is the availability of the committee members to work on things for the committee.

10. Updates on Communication and Outreach subcommittee

Stephanie Pilkington: We pushed a hashtag out for the summit through slack and twitter and I saw a lot of people were using it. For future reference, whenever we have an event, we can associate some hashtag with it to increase exposure. The other thing is, we are still working on a campaign to push something out once a week to highlight NHERI research and facilities. We also started tracking the data with the tweets we have posted and see what is giving us more exposure.

Mohammad: BTW, I like the picture you posted in twitter. Also, could you bring up the election in the next communication and outreach subcommittee. The next meeting should be tomorrow—If you see Marti in the meeting, please bring it up and plan to push out the announcement about the election.

Stephanie: Sure.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:39 pm CT.