FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media: Advisory May 9 Seismic Test of NHERI Tallwood at UC San Diego
May 5, 2023, San Diego, California
Tuesday, May 9, 10 a.m. Pacific Time
Englekirk Structural Engineering Center/NHERI shake table
10201 Pomerado Road
San Diego, CA 92131
View the test from the Englekirk Center live stream on YouTube.
Researchers will shake a 10-story mass timber building – the tallest full-scale building to be tested on an earthquake simulator. The structure will undergo two tests: the 6.7M 1994 Northridge earthquake and the 7.7M 1999 Chi-Chi earthquake.
The UC San Diego earthquake simulator is one of the two largest shake tables in the world. It has recently been upgraded to move in 3D – 6 degrees of freedom (east/west, north/south, up and down, and roll pitch and yaw).
Ioana Patringenaru, UC San Diego (619) 253-4474
Emilie Rusch, Colorado School of Mines (720) 432-5203
NOTES: For safety reasons, all media crews will need to be 100 feet from the building during the test. If you plan to place cameras closer to the building, they will need to run on their own for 30 minutes–1 hour. DRONES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED–we will provide drone footage of the test.
- Shiling Pei, Associate professor at the Colorado School of Mines and lead researcher on the mass timber 10-story building, aka Tallwood project.
- Joel Conte, professor in the UC San Diego Department of Structural Engineering and PI for the NHERI@UC San Diego shake table experimental facility (recent upgrade as well as operation and maintenance).
- Lelli Van Den Einde, professor in the UC San Diego Department of Structural Engineering and Co-PI in charge of outreach for the NHERI@UC San Diego shake table experimental facility.
- Jeffrey Berman, professor at the University of Washington, Tallwood researcher.
- Keri Ryan, professor at the University of Nevada at Reno, researcher focused on the facades, stairs and other non-structural components in the building.
- John van de Lindt, professor at Colorado State University, Tallwood researcher
Press release about the project: https://today.ucsd.edu/story/Tallwood_tests_spring2023
Project website: https://nheritallwood.mines.edu
UC San Diego NHERI shake table website: https://nheri.ucsd.edu